The Horticultural Trades Association (HTA) is the voice of the UK horticulture industry.
For over 120 years we have represented and supported our members on issues impacting the sector. We give you a platform to promote your business and to develop relationships with suppliers and customers. Our aim is simple: to promote, support and nurture our industry to ensure a robust and sustainable future.
The HTA works for you, and with you, on issues which impact your day-to-day business. We work tirelessly with government and the media to represent you and your views, in order to shape policy and legislation on topics including:
- Plant passporting and plant health regulations
- Growing media and sustainability
- Recycling (eg. Plant Pots)
- Employment and labour
- Horticultural careers
- Nursery incentives
- Business Rates
- The Plant Health Assurance Scheme helps you with the biosecurity of your supply chain, giving your customers confidence in trading with you.
- The Plant Healthy website offers a simple to use self-assessment tool which allows you to assess your biosecurity procedures against the Plant Health Management Standard.
Ornamental Horticulture Assurance Scheme (OHAS)
HTA grower members can join OHAS for no additional cost. OHAS (formerly BOPP) is an industry recognised certification scheme designed to enable businesses to demonstrate high standards of professionalism and sustainability through independent evaluation of all their production processes.
You can call us to get expert help on anything from nursery production and biosecurity, to waste regulation compliance and employment law.
We work with a suite of suppliers offering sustainable solutions helping you to save money or receive favourable terms. These include:
- Discounts on HTA networking events, conferences, seminars and exhibitions.
- Topical Seminars on issues such as plant passporting, sustainability and vine weevil prevention.
- Latest industry news through our monthly newsletter and weekly email updates.
- Access to market information on the state of trade, trends and insight reports.
- Access to the Nursery Business Improvement Scheme
– bringing together growers to share information and best practice.
- Promotional industry marketing campaigns.
- Access to e-learning via the HTA Hub – an online training platform.
- A dedicated Horticulture Manager.
Belonging to the HTA gives you the opportunity to reach more customers and make new industry connections.
Our award-winning, annual National Plant Show (NPS) is a great way to promote your company, raise your profile and generate leads by providing a platform to showcase your products to buyers:
- 90% of exhibitors generate leads from new customers by exhibiting at the show.
- HTA members receive preferential booking rates (up to 20% off advertised rates).
- HTA member stands are allocated first in the exhibition hall.
- The New Plant Awards provide a showcase for new products.
Growers who have a direct-to-consumer retail operation can join our National Garden Gift Voucher Scheme – the largest gardening promotion in the UK – worth £30M to the industry.
Hear from some of our members
“ The HTA stands out, by offering members real potential to influence matters which actually affect their industry. ”
Brian Fraser, Oakover Nurseries
“ Being members of the HTA has given us access to a wealth of contacts and resources, which have proven invaluable during the recent growth and development of our business. I truly believe that the intra-industry collaboration, which the HTA facilitates, holds a significant role in the evolution of horticulture. ”
Natalie Porter, Porters Fuchsias
“ I've attended quite a lot of HTA conferences and seminars over the years and I think you're hard pressed not to come away with something that you can take home and apply to your own business when you get back and hit the floor. ”
Bruce Harnett, Kernock Park Plants
Applying for Membership
Below you will find everything you need to make an application to join the HTA:
- A downloadable application form for a business with 'grower' as the primary business type.
- Details of the subscription rates and joining fee.
- A direct debit mandate, as payments can be spread across the year.
To apply please email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org or post the forms to HTA Services, HTA, Horticulture House, Chilton, Didcot OX11 0RN
- Completed application form
- Completed direct debit mandate
- Your businesses Certificate of Incorporation (if a Limited company)
- The latest copy of your accounts detailing your total turnover, so we can place you in the applicable subscription band
All applications require approval by the Board, we will let you know we have received your application and advise when you can expect to have a board decision.
In the meantime, if you have any questions or need help with the application, please call HTA Services on 0333 003 3550