Develop displays of plants around different colour themes.
Include colourful plants that add immediate impact as well as things that provide continuity to keep the colour coming right through summer, highlighting colour from foliage, bark and stems, autumn colour, as well as flowers, fruits and berries.
Perhaps use the principles of the Colour Wheel to create displays, or have fun with colourfulful groupings or partners.
Highlight good planting companions e.g.:
- Purple & Yellow/Gold e.g. Geranium, Achillea, Rudbeckia.
- Red, Yellow & Blue e.g. Solidago, Scabious, Camassia, Scilla peruviana.
- Purple, Green & Orange e.g. Geum, Alchemilla, Geum.
- Violet, Orange & Green e.g. Campanula, Erysimum, Salvia, Verbascum, Hosta, Euphorbia, Bergenia, etc.
GARDENS TO VISIT… for colour-themed inspiration
- Coton Manor, Northampton – for their Blue & Yellow Border.
- East Ruston Old Vicarage, Norfolk – for their Red & Purple Border.
- Hidcote Manor Garden, Gloucestershire (National Trust) – for their Red Borders.
- Sissinghurst Castle Garden, Kent (National Trust) – for their White Border.