June - Scented Plants
There are scented plants to enjoy during every season, including pot plants and cut flowers like sweet peas to bring indoors. Summer scents are particularly valuable, enjoyed while sitting outside and relaxing in your own garden. Include shrubs with highly fragrant flowers, like mock orange (Philadelphus) and lilac (Syringa) in borders, and grow scented climbers like roses, jasmine and honeysuckle over arches and pergolas or around doors and windows. Also position plants with fragrant foliage, like lavender and herbs, close to paths, doorways and seating areas so you can run your hand over them to release their aroma as you pass.
Develop displays of plants with scented flowers or foliage e.g.
- Lavender & Butterfly Lavender
- Fragrant roses
- Mock Orange – Philadelphus vars eg ‘Belle Etoile’ AGM
- Daphne x transatlantica Eternal Fragrance AGM
- Escallonia ‘Iveyi’ AGM
- Abelia x grandiflora
- Lilac – later flowering Syringa varieties
- Aromatic herbs eg rosemary, sage, thyme, lemon verbena, oregano, etc.
- Perennials like Salvia ‘Carradonna’, Phlox divaricate ‘Clouds of Perfume’ and varieties of Verbasum.
- Scented paeonies, shrubs, climbers, bulbs, Verbena rigida, etc.