UK commercial drivers who operate in the EU will need new paperwork in addition to the documents they already carry if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.

Driver documents you’ll need include:

  • International Driving Permit(s)
  • a passport (with at least 6 months validity, excluding up to 9 months which may have been added to your new passport’s expiry date, and one blank page for stamping). Check your passport
  • an ECMT permit (for journeys through the EU to third countries, i.e Ukraine)
  • a Driver Certificate of Professional Competence
  • a tachograph driver card

Vehicle documents you’ll need include:

  • a motor insurance green card for the vehicle (and a separate one for a trailer in some EEA countries)
  • a GB Sticker
  • a vehicle log book
  • a trailer registration plate displayed and vehicle registered with DVLA

Act now and check our EU exit haulier guidance for the most up to date list of documents.

Trailer registration

You will also be required to register commercial trailers from 28 March to drive before they can travel to the EU.

This is a requirement from 28 March regardless of when, or how the UK leaves the EU.

Register your trailer now

Documents from your shipping provider

In addition to your driver and vehicle documents, you will also need to request separate cargo and customs documents from your shipping agent.

You will need more documents if you are transporting high risk goods or animal/plant/other controlled products.

It is the responsibility of the Exporter to provide these documents, but they will be needed to take goods across the border.

Check our EU exit haulier guidance for a complete list.

Documentation for importing and exporting goods

EU countries may impose different requirements on their side of the border. Carrying goods that do not comply with EU requirements could result in delays or penalties.

You should familiarise yourself with these new processes.

Import and export guidance for France
Import and export guidance for Belgium
Import and export guidance for the Netherlands
Import and export guidance for Spain

Need to know more?

Keep track of the UK government's latest Brexit information and advice.

More News +